Out Of The Box Job Search Tactics
What would you do to get the job you want?
The following news stories come to mind about the lengths people will go to in order to get hired:
- Walking the city streets while wearing a sandwich board that lists your professional credentials;
- Renting billboard space to promote yourself;
- “Selling” yourself on eBay.
While these extreme job search tactics have certainly helped individuals stand out in a crowded job market, they’re more like “stunts” than strategies.
Here are a few fresh ideas for getting noticed by employers, which may prove more practical for your professional job search needs:
- Create a business card that serves as a résumé. They’re much easier to carry around and pass out than a full-sized résumé, especially at a networking or professional association event. On the card, you can provide the URLs for your LinkedIn page, professional website and/or online portfolio, so recipients can find out more about you. Get 100 free resume cards on Kinsa CareerEdge.
- Start a professional blog. If you’re a strong writer, and if you’re disciplined enough to make frequent updates, a blog can greatly enhance your job search efforts. You can use your blog to showcase your in-depth professional knowledge, and demonstrate that you stay on-top of trends and news impacting the food & beverage industry. A blog is also a great way to share what you do with potential employers and develop a strong personal brand.
- Create a video résumé. While not a substitute for a traditional résumé, a video résumé can be beneficial to food & beverage professionals seeking jobs that require sales, training or other presentations. If you perform well in front of a camera, and if you have access to good production facilities (believe me, you don’t want to use your webcam for this one), your video résumé can showcase your communication, articulation and presentation skills.
Unconventional tactics not your style?
Then try a proven job search strategy that’s worked for savvy food & beverage professionals for over 25 years – contact the Kinsa Group today.