Is That Executive Food & Beverage Job Really the Right Career Move?
You arrive at your food & beverage interview dressed to impress. Prepped with talking points to position yourself as a standout candidate. And ready to put your best foot forward.
That recruiter is trying to impress you, too.
In today’s job market, food & beverage employers invest substantial time and effort to make their organization and available position attractive to you. As a savvy job seeker, you should expect them to sell the upsides of the role and highlight the advantages of working for them.
How can you move beyond that shiny employer brand – and find out if the job is the right move for your career?
Move beyond standard interview follow-up questions and ask some heavy hitters.
While it’s important to ask standard questions, such as why the position is available, these follow-up questions will help you get the answers you really need to make an informed decision:
Probing questions to assess company culture:
- What is your favorite part about working for this organization?
- Aside from making a profit, what is most important to this organization as a whole?
- How would employees describe the work environment here?
- In your opinion, what type of individual tends to fit in and excel here?
Follow-up questions to learn more about the position (i.e., challenge, growth opportunity, how performance will be evaluated):
- How will you measure success in this position? (probe) What metrics do you use in the first 90 days, one year and beyond?
- What do you expect me to accomplish if I’m offered this opportunity?
- What do you see as the biggest challenges I will face in this position?
- What is the typical career progression for an individual in this role?
Questions to size up your potential boss:
- How would you describe your leadership or management style?
- How would your team describe you?
- What unique value have you brought to the company?
Follow-up questions to position you as a standout candidate:
In this earlier post, we review a few “silver bullet” follow-up questions to help you make a lasting, positive impression with a food & beverage employer. Here are a few to consider asking:
- What has been your best moment to date with this organization?
- What keeps you up at night?
- How would you describe the ideal candidate for this role?
Questions to convey your interest in the position:
- From what I’ve heard thus far, I am very interested in the opportunity with this organization. Do you have any questions or concerns about my candidacy?
- Is there anything else you need from me to assist you in determining whether I’m the best candidate for the role?
- What are the next steps in your hiring process?
Related post: Turn the Tables: 5 Questions to Ask Your Executive Food & Beverage Recruiter
Is Kinsa Group the right food and beverage recruiter for you?
For over 30 years, Kinsa has specialized in placing executives, vice presidents, directors, managers and professionals with leading food and beverage industry employers. Our recruiters have the drive and experience to find you the right position for your expertise, only presenting opportunities that match your career interests and goals. What can we do for you? Jump start your food & beverage job search with Kinsa today.