The calendar turns, and we’re suddenly in a new year. We have a blank slate on which to make a fresh start! Most of us will have resolutions about getting healthier, traveling more, maybe some other life improvement goals inspired by the start of another new year. But what about your career?
Take a moment and think about where you’d like to be in your career in the food and beverage industry at the end of 2020. Have a few ideas? Let’s get to work!
How to plan and achieve your career goals
Whether you want a promotion or to change jobs completely, it can be done with focus, a plan, and a little hard work. Visualize where you want to go, then figure out a path that will get you there. Kinsa Group has some practical tips for how to set strategic and realistic goals to help you advance your career in the food and beverage industry while also helping to overcome obstacles that might appear along the way:
1) Have as much clarity as possible. Think about the job you want and the kind of skills required to obtain it. Do you have those skills? If not, how can you get them?
2) Ask for advice. Talk with someone who’s been there. Gather feedback, both about the job you want and the job you’re doing, and understand where change or growth will be needed.
3) Prepare for success. If you want to diversify or advance, sign up for a new food industry association or group, attend events to meet new people. Think about where you want to go, find people who are there and connect to learn from them.
Give your resume a touch-up
Recruiters and HR managers will tell you that most resumes have less than 10 seconds to make a strong first impression. Will yours pass the test?
1) Quantify your accomplishments with specifics. Did you help increase revenue by 5%? Did you implement a new system that grew efficiency by 10%? Use specifics and short, precise details to show that you’re an impactful employee who sees ideas through to completion — and has the results to prove it.
2) Make it easy to find the information that makes you hirable. How many people did you manage or oversee? How big a budget did you have, and how efficient were you with the funds? Break out the numbers and let your work shine.
3) Tailor your resume to the job. A one-size-fits-all resume won’t work for every application, even if you’re staying within the same area of the food industry. Identify the core skills needed for the position you’re applying to and highlight the key skills you have that relate to the job. Again, be specific and use keywords!
At Kinsa Group, we want to make sure you’re shining a light on your accomplishments, not burying all the wonderful things you have going for you under unnecessary details. Write your resume with a goal in mind and make sure you include the pertinent information to show you’re the best candidate for the job.
Enhance your job search
You know you want to find a new job, but how?
1) How does your cover letter look? It’s an important tool in catching a hiring manager’s eye and winning their interest. Adjust your cover letter for every application, making connections between what you do now and the job you’re applying for to show that you’re the right professional for the job.
2) Contact your references. Former managers can speak the same language as a potential new boss and will be able to relay how you’ve been an asset to your previous employer. Coworkers can identify the specific role you played in the company’s success or how you navigate problems and implement solutions. Have other people help sing your praises.
3) Make sure your online presence is up-to-date, accurate, and contains the proper details. When was the last time you checked on your LinkedIn profile? Social media and other networking platforms can offer another view of your personality and work.
This is a lot to take in, we know!
But here at Kinsa Group, we’re ready to help you make sense of it all and to find that great new food industry job. Contact us today, and we’ll help navigate the new world that the new you is ready to conquer.
We’ve also got a list of great jobs that could provide the perfect opportunity for you — check them out today!