Manage Your References To Help Land Your Dream Job
The majority of today’s employers perform reference checks before hiring someone. If you’ve got the right skills and experience, it would be a shame if less than stellar references were to prevent you from landing a dream job! So, how can you ensure your references shine the best possible light on you?
- Maintain positive relationships with former supervisors and coworkers. Social media platforms like LinkedIn make it easy, but you still have to check in periodically.
- Don’t ever use someone as a reference without their permission. Not just in general, but each time. Aside from other benefits, asking someone if you can use them for a reference is generally a polite way of asking “are you willing to provide a positive reference for me?”
- Always ask for their updated contact information.
- Another benefit of reaching out each time you want to use someone as a reference is that you can tell them about the specific opportunity, which will help them tailor their feedback. While you can’t dictate what they say, you can coach them. Here’s an example. “Since we worked together on the supply chain overhaul project at ABC Food Company, I thought you could speak to the technology expertise I demonstrated in selecting and implementing the new Warehouse Management System.”
- Do not list your references on your resume, rather provide them only when they are requested.
Reach out to a Kinsa recruiter today to help locate your dream job or get more information about managing your references.
This blog was written by George Blomgren, Kinsa Group Recruiting Manager.