You’ve worked hard to make it to the face-to-face interview stage. Kinsa Group’s recruiters have shared a lot of tips on how to prepare for the actual interview, let us help you with these Interview Travel Tips.
Interview Travel Tip 1: Know Where You Are Going
- You may have heard this quote before, but when you’re traveling for an interview it’s important to take this literally.
- Is the employer setting up flight, hotel, and/or transportation? In advance of your trip, understand what you will be expected to pay for and what the employer will be covering (upfront or via reimbursement receipts), but do not expect the employer to be your travel agent.
- Have an organized plan with digital and/or print copies of your flight information, rental car or other ground transportation options (subway, taxi, Uber/Lyft, etc.), hotel name and address, etc.
- Research how far the interview address is from the airport, hotel, etc. so that you can plan wisely for a prompt (or early) arrival. Ask hotel staff about traffic to expect in advance.
2: Use Carry On Bags
- Do not overpack. Your travel documents, a business portfolio for interview notes, necessary toiletries, interview attire, and perhaps a backup clothing option are all you need.
- Save the time and hassle of a checked bag. You would not want to take a chance it gets lost and ruins your interview date! In an emergency, you can usually purchase a new suit at the airport, but that’s not likely to be reimbursed.
3: Bring Credit Cards and Cash
- Even if you expect that the employer will cover your interview expenses, you may be required to provide a major credit card for both the hotel and rental car refundable security deposits.
- Save your receipts from dining out. Remember to eat modestly, out of respect for the employer. When in doubt, ask your recruiter what is an appropriate per diem budget.
- Cash is good to have on hand for tips and transportation.
- Reimbursement is typically handled after you have returned home from the interview.
4: This Is Not A Vacation
- Spend your time preparing for the interview questions with these blog tips from Kinsa Group’s recruiting team.
- Ask good questions in return to determine if this company is the right fit for your next career move.
Your Next Career Move Partner
Hoping to schedule the right interview for that career move you’ve been considering for a while now? Check out Kinsa Group’s HOT JOBS today! Our recruiting team would love to introduce you to your new employer.