Off the Beaten Path: 5 Unusual Ideas for Accelerating Your Food & Beverage Career Growth
Your resume may get you hired, but it won’t get you promoted. Accelerating in your food & beverage career depends on what you achieve, how you present yourself, and the choices you make at work each day.
So stack the deck in your favor with these five career growth tips. Admittedly, they’re a bit unusual – but sometimes, “unusual” is exactly what you need to stand out from the crowd and get noticed by higher-ups:
- Be more charismatic. This quality directly affects how likable you are. While it’s true that you don’t have to be liked to get your job done, being viewed favorably in the workplace goes hand-in-hand with being respected, being promoted and earning more money. Characteristics like a positive attitude, the ability to laugh, great listening skills and passion for your work will go a long way in making you a more charismatic and promotable person.
- Be humble. If you tend to focus exclusively on self-promotion, you may actually be undermining your career success. Instead, try advocating for co-workers (and even superiors) when appropriate. Recommend them for internal opportunities that aren’t the right fit for you. Recognize their accomplishments and successes as much as your own. Help them build their professional networks. In other words, pay it forward! The goodwill you generate will be returned to you.
- Gain knowledge in a second area. Innovations (and job opportunities) often arise at the intersection of two unique disciplines. Find another area within the food & beverage industry in which you can develop expertise. Study emerging trends and stay on top of “what’s next.” Most of all, be a lifelong learner. Making yourself an expert in two things increases your value to your existing employer – and makes you even more attractive to others.
- Be optimistic. Bring a great attitude and energy level to work every day. Assume the best in situations where you don’t know others’ motivations or mindsets. Optimism is infectious – and it will get you noticed in a good way. In today’s hyper-networked food & beverage industry, the best opportunities unfold for those who empower and energize others.
- Try new things. Career focus is essential – but be careful not to put unnecessary blinders on. In your professional and personal life, push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Meet new people. Go new places. Volunteer for novel projects that may not directly relate to your measurable goals. Keep your world big and your horizons wide, because you never know where or when your next great opportunity will arise.
Kinsa Group: A tried-and-true partner in accelerating your food & beverage career growth.
For more than 25 years, Kinsa has provided the challenging opportunities and career guidance executives like you need to grow and thrive. We’ll learn about your goals, aspirations, strengths and weaknesses – and help you chart a path for career success. Contact a Kinsa recruiter today or search executive food & beverage jobs here.